Wintertime is here, and it has brought freezing temperatures with it. As we begin what is shaping up to be a harsh cold weather season, it’s crucial that our heating systems are ready to handle everything that winter throws at them. However, no matter how well prepared your HVAC unit is, problems can still impact it. That’s why it is important that you know what to do if your heating system goes out this winter.
What to Do if Your Heating System Goes Out
Obviously, the last thing you want to happen during the winter is for your heat to go out. Unfortunately, it happens, and if it happens to you, you need to know what to do. The first thing you should do is try to figure out what’s wrong with your heating system:
- Check to see if your power is out or your area is experiencing a blackout
- Check to make sure your heating system wasn’t accidentally turned off
- Check that your heating system isn’t set to cool instead of heat and that there isn’t anything wrong with your thermostat
- Check for a blown fuse
- Check the pilot light
- Check for gas leaks
- Check your furnace or heat pump for damage
After you’re done troubleshooting, figure out how to stay warm until you can get your heating system up and running again:
- If your home has a working fireplace, you can get a fire going
- You can turn on your oven and keep the oven door open
- You can use space heaters
- You can put on your winter clothes
- You can get under your warmest blankets
- You can block any drafts with towels and cover your windows with curtains/shades and cover your doors with blankets to insulate them
- If your power is out and you have a generator, use it to restore your power and heating system
- If you have sleeping bags, get in one to stay warm
- Make sure to eat because eating will force your body to work and stay warmer
- If the weather permits, go stay at a family member or friend’s home, or check into a hotel until your heating system is repaired
Once you’re done troubleshooting the problem and you have found a way to stay warm, you need to reach out to a licensed and experienced heating system repair specialist to come out to your home or business and repair the problem.
Your Heating System Giving You Problems? Give Our Heating System Repair Specialists a Call or Contact Us Online Today!
Since 1989, Blazer Heating, Air, and Plumbing has been providing homeowners and businesses in Richmond and its surrounding communities with high quality and dependable heating system maintenance and repairs. Our heating system maintenance and repair experts are licensed, highly trained, skilled, experienced, and reliable. We have a long history of getting the job done for our customers and ensuring that their heating systems perform properly all winter long.
To learn more about Blazer Heating, Air, and Plumbing, check out our customers’ reviews.
For more information about what to do if your heating goes out, or to speak with our experienced heating system repair specialists in Richmond about your situation, call us at (804) 277-2458 or get in touch with us online today. We’re available 24/7 for emergency heating repairs, and we offer discounts and financing options.