There are certain things we buy that we expect to be with us for the long haul. One of those things is our home’s HVAC system. While we don’t expect our HVAC system to last forever, when we buy one, we anticipate it sticking around for at least a decade or so. For the most part, if an HVAC unit is good quality and well-maintained, it should last a homeowner 10 to 15 years. Anything beyond that, you’re living on borrowed time, and you will probably start to notice signs that your HVAC system needs to be replaced sooner rather than later.
7 Signs You Need to Replace Your HVAC System
Replacing your HVAC system is not a decision you should take lightly. It is a large purchase upfront, and if you choose the wrong HVAC unit, it can result in expensive repair costs for years to come. However, if you pick the right HVAC system, it can last you a long time, keep your home comfortable for years, and even save you money.
If you are wondering if your current HVAC unit may need to be replaced, but you’re not sure, here are a few signs to help you determine whether it is time to replace your HVAC system:
- Your HVAC System Is Over 10 Years Old – According to the U.S. Department of Energy, homeowners should replace their HVAC systems every 10 to 15 years. While modern HVAC units are durable, many of their major components start to deteriorate after a decade or so. Depending on how often an HVAC system is used and how well it is maintained, some HVAC units can last longer than others.
- You Have Several Cold and Hot Spots in Your House – If the temperature in your home is uneven, your HVAC system may be on its last legs. Older HVAC units often have trouble keeping the temperature throughout a house consistent and comfortable. This can lead to certain rooms/areas in a home being warmer or cooler than others. There are a variety of reasons this can happen, such as damaged motors, severely damaged ducts, or a broken thermostat. In some cases, more than one issue can be the cause. Ultimately, if your HVAC can’t keep your entire home comfortable, it is probably just not powerful enough to do it anymore, and even if you get it repaired, it may never be powerful enough to keep your house consistently comfortable again.
- You Are Noticing Higher Than Normal Utility Bills – While energy bills can rise and fall due to usage or depending on what season it is, if your power bill keeps increasing from year to year, it may be because of your HVAC system. As HVAC units age, they lose efficiency and must work harder to keep your home warm or cool. This can lead to the system running longer than it previously did to cool or warm your home, which can result in your utility bills increasing.
- Your HVAC System Needs Expensive Repairs – If your HVAC system seems to be in constant need of expensive repairs, it may be better to replace it. If the costs to repair your HVAC begin to add up over a brief period, it may make more sense to skip the repairs and install a new system. A good rule of thumb is if the repairs during a short time (let’s say over the course of a year or two) add up to more than half the cost of a new HVAC system, you should probably just purchase a new HVAC unit instead of continuing to waste money on repairing your old system.
- Your HVAC Runs Constantly – When temperatures outdoors are extremely warm or cool, your HVAC system may run longer than normal to keep your home’s temperature comfortable. However, if you notice your system running constantly every day, especially if the outdoor temperatures are mild, it may be because its major components, such as the compressor or ductwork, are beginning to deteriorate and the system must work harder to keep your home cool or warm. In some cases, your home’s temperatures may remain comfortable. However, you will probably begin seeing your utility bills increase.
- Your Home Has Poor Air Quality – If you start noticing dust building up around your home and your house’s indoor air quality takes a dip, that can be a sign that your HVAC system needs to be replaced. Your HVAC system is supposed to keep the air in your home flowing, and it is supposed to filter your house’s air supply. If your home’s air quality is poor and you’re noticing dust building up around your house, it might mean your HVAC is struggling to filter and circulate your home’s air. In some cases, you could simply need to replace your air filters, but sometimes it means you need to replace your HVAC system.
- You Are Noticing Strange Noises and Odors Throughout Your Home – Just like a car or anything else you’ve owned for a while, you know how your HVAC system should sound and you know if something around your home smells off. If you begin hearing strange noises, such as grinding, clanging, squealing, and banging, coming from your HVAC unit, there’s probably something wrong with it. Likewise, if you notice odd smells that you can trace back to your HVAC system, don’t ignore it. It could be components in the system overheating or mold in the ductwork. If you notice anything strange going on with your HVAC system, you should have it inspected. Maybe it is something minor, like dust burning off the system. But maybe it is something serious and your HVAC needs to be repaired or replaced.
Is It Time to Replace Your HVAC System? Our HVAC Experts Can Help!
If your HVAC system has seen better days, it may be time to replace it. You don’t want to wait until it breaks down on a sweltering summer day or freezing winter night to replace your aging HVAC unit. Get it done as soon as you realize it needs to be replaced. Your new system will be more energy efficient, which will save you money on your utility bills, and it will be more effective and reliable, which means you can count on your home being comfortable for years to come.
At Blazer Heating, Air, and Plumbing, we have been helping residential and commercial customers in Richmond and surrounding areas with their Heating and AC installation, maintenance, and repair needs since 1989. Our licensed & certified technicians can help you determine if you need to replace your HVAC unit or not. In some cases, your system may just need maintenance or repair, which we can help you with. However, if your HVAC system needs to be replaced, we can help you with that as well.
For more information about Blazer Heating, Air, and Plumbing, and how we have helped customers just like you with their AC and Heating installation, maintenance, and repair needs, check out our reviews.
To speak with our HVAC experts about your situation, give us a call at (804) 277-2458 or reach out to us online today. Ask about our financing options and Spring specials! We are available 24/7 for emergency services.