The wintertime means dry air that generally makes you feel uncomfortable, like static electricity is always clinging to your skin, clothes, and hair. Your home’s humidifier can help offset the dryness, but only if it is well maintained for optimal efficiency. Even the best models on the market can wear down with round-the-clock use, so it is important to give attention to your humidifier sooner than later.
Follow This Humidifier Checklist
Water panel: Within your humidifier, you will find a water panel that provides the moisture for your home’s air. The water panel has to be changed out regularly to avoid malfunctions and poor water condition, such as what can be caused by mineral, debris, or even fungal buildup. You should check on and clean the water panel fairly frequently.
How to maintain a water panel:
- Shut off your furnace until you are finished with the maintenance.
- Open the water panel cover and expose the water panel, which may be partially hidden until you slide it out.
- Remove the water panel and discard it.
- Pop in a new water panel. Double check to ensure it is tightly in place.
- Close the panel and turn your furnace back on.
General humidifier maintenance: The water panel of your humidifier probably needs the most routine attention. However, the entire humidifier itself will need some maintenance every now and then, especially before and in the middle of winter.
How to maintain your humidifier:
- Keep your humidifier on a level surface during use.
- Clean out the reservoir and output nozzles whenever you replace the water panel.
- Look closely around the humidifier for signs of leaks.
Most people do not have fun maintaining their humidifier, or they are nervous about the technical knowledge required to make fixes. Not to worry — you can count on Blazer Heating and Air in Richmond for all of your humidifier maintenance. Call (804) 277-2458 to arrange a tune-up!
Taking Care of Portable Humidifiers, Too
Rather than having a large humidifier to improve the air around your own home, it might be possible that you have a portable humidifier instead. These smaller devices can be placed in specific rooms of your home to humidify the immediate area. They are extremely handy, for example, by placing them bedside when someone is suffering from a chest cold.
Clean the filter or wick each time before you use a portable humidifier. You may need to replace the filter if it is quite clogged or dirty. Performing a cleaning before each use will take less and less time each time. Cleanings of the entire unit should be done based on the manufacturer’s specifications, which generally say nightly or weekly, depending on the tank size. To prevent the smell of stale water in your home, you should complete a cleaning each night. Be sure to also clean the humidifier thoroughly before you store it away.
How to clean an entire portable humidifier:
- Unplug the humidifier before conducting a thorough cleaning.
- Take out the filter to wash with cold water. Remember to not use any cleaning products on the filter, as this will distribute particles of that cleaning into the air.
- Let the filter air dry complete before reinserting.
- Remove the water tank, fill it with distilled white vinegar, and wait 30 minutes.
- While the vinegar is still inside the tank, gently scrub away any deposits or stains you might see lining it.
- Dump out the vinegar and thoroughly rinse the tank with water.
- Fill the base with water and bleach, using one teaspoon of bleach per gallon of water. Allow this new mixture to also sit for 30 minutes.
- Pour out the bleach-water mixture and rinse the tank with water until bleach odor is not noticeable.
Friendly Humidifier Services in Richmond from Blazer Heating and Air
Is your whole house humidifier in need of some attention? If you do not want to get your hands dirty, keep them clean by grabbing your phone and dialing (804) 277-2458 instead. Blazer Heating and Air of Richmond is here to help provide HVAC and indoor air quality services when you need them and always at competitive prices. Your satisfaction is our top priority!